Current:Home > ScamsMuch-maligned umpire Ángel Hernández to retire from Major League Baseball -Capitatum
Much-maligned umpire Ángel Hernández to retire from Major League Baseball
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 09:32:06
Ángel Hernández,́ngelHerná the polarizing veteran umpire who has drawn the wrath and exasperation from players, managers and fans alike over three decades, is retiring from Major League Baseball, a high-ranking baseball official told USA TODAY Sports.
MLB and Hernández had spent the past two weeks negotiating a financial settlement before reaching a resolution over the weekend.
The longtime umpire confirmed his retirement in a statement to USA TODAY Sports on Monday night:
"Starting with my first major league game in 1991, I have had the very good experience of living out my childhood dream of umpiring in the major leagues. I treasured the camaraderie of my colleagues and the friendships I have made along the way.
"I have decided that I want to spend more time with my family."
Follow every MLB game: Latest MLB scores, stats, schedules and standings.
Hernández, 62, worked his last game May 9 as the home-plate umpire in the Chicago White Sox’s 3-2 victory over the Cleveland Guardians at Guaranteed Rate Field and never came back, replaced on the crew by Jacob Metz.
Hernández, baseball’s most controversial umpire, filed a racial discrimination lawsuit in 2017 against MLB, alleging that he was passed over for a crew chief position and World Series assignments because of race. He last umpired a World Series game in 2005 and a League Championship Series in 2016.
The lawsuit was dismissed in U.S. District Court in 2021, granting MLB a summary judgement. The 2nd Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals upheld the decision last year.
“Hernández has failed to establish a statistically significant disparity between the promotion rates of white and minority umpires,” the appeals court said in its 11-page decision. “MLB has provided persuasive expert evidence demonstrating that, during the years at issue, the difference in crew chief promotion rates between white and minority umpires was not statistically significant. Hernández offers no explanation as to why MLB’s statistical evidence is unreliable.”
Hernández, a Cuban-American, began umpiring professionally at the age of 20 in the Florida State League.
"There have been many positive changes in the game of baseball since I first entered the profession," Hernández said in his statement Monday. "This includes the expansion and promotion of minorities. I am proud that I was able to be an active participant in that goal while being a major league umpire."
He was promoted to a full-time MLB umpire in 1993, and in recent years was considered by player and managers as the game’s worst umpire.
He was lambasted on social media earlier on April 12 this season when Texas Rangers rookie Wyatt Langford struck out on three consecutive pitches that were outside of the strike zone. He missed on seven other pitchers that were at least three inches outside the strike zone.
Hernandez worked only 10 games last season because of a back injury, but he missed 161 calls, according to Umpire Auditor.
He had three calls overturned at first base in Game 3 of the 2018 American League Division Series between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, with Hall of Fame pitcher Pedro Martinez lambasting him on TBS.
“Ángel was horrible," he said. “Don’t get me going on Ángel now. Major League Baseball needs to do something about Ángel. It doesn’t matter how many times he sues Major League Baseball, he’s as bad as there is."
Said Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia after the game: “I don’t understand why he’s doing these games. He’s always bad. He’s a bad umpire."
Hernandez was never considered MLB’s worst umpire, according to MLB’s statistical studies and reports, but in the court of public opinion, there wasn’t anyone who missed more calls as a home-plate umpire.
Now, he’s gone from the game, escaping the ridicule and mockery that long has followed him.
Follow Nightengale on X: @Bnightengale
veryGood! (749)
Related
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Chinese property firm Evergrande’s EV company says its executive director has been detained
- Slovenian rescuers hopeful they will bring out 5 people trapped in a cave since Saturday
- Mom calls out Fisher-Price for 'annoying' phrases on 'Like A Boss' activity center
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Reese Witherspoon, Heidi Klum bring kids Deacon, Leni to Vanity Fair event
- Lebanon airport screens display anti-Hezbollah message after being hacked
- Oscar Pistorius and the Valentine’s killing of Reeva Steenkamp. What happened that night?
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Thousands forced from homes by quake face stress and exhaustion as Japan mourns at least 161 deaths
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Norwegian mass killer begins second attempt to sue state for alleged breach of human rights
- Hundreds evacuate homes, 38 rescued from floods in southeast Australia after heavy storms
- 'Society of the Snow': How to watch Netflix's survival film about doomed Flight 571
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- 32 things we learned in NFL Week 18: Key insights into playoff field
- China intelligence agency says it has detained individual accused of collecting secrets for Britain
- Explainer: Missing door ‘plug’ may hold vital clues to how a gaping hole blew open on a jetliner
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Dry skin bothering you? This is what’s causing it.
'Prison Confessions of Gypsy-Rose Blanchard': Bombshells from Lifetime's new docuseries
South Dakota lawmakers see alignment with Noem as session begins
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Ariana Grande teases fans with new music release this Friday
Palestinians flee from central Gaza’s main hospital as fighting draws closer and aid groups withdraw
Florence Pugh continues sheer Valentino dress tradition at 2024 Golden Globes: See pics